Task 5 – Puppet Rig

In this task, I am to rig my doll to make an animation.


First of all, I created a Armature which is essentially a bone.



Next, I went to this tab which is only accessible through the armature. I scrolled down and ticked X-Ray. This made it so I could see it through my mesh of my doll to make life easier for me.


Then I placed this bone at the bottom of my doll.


I extruded it all the up the body to the base of the neck.


I extruded it two more times for the neck and the head.


Then I moved onto the arms. I had one bone for the shoulder, One for the joint between the arm and the shoulder, One for the upper arm, One for the lower arm and one for the hand.


Next, I moved onto the legs. I added three more bones to allow more moving ability.


That was it for the bone structure for my doll. All I had to do then was press CTRL + P to parent the mesh of my doll and the bone structure. The image above shows how it looks when I moved the joints for the arm.


Now I could move on to the actual animation part. To do this I had to make multiple keyframes which are seen above.


The first keyframe was of my doll being completely still.


The second keyframe was of my doll with its arm up.


The third keyframe is back to the original point of being still.


This is the timeline where you can see everything to do with the animation.

The video below is my animation which I have rendered from blender. I added one extra part which you can see apart from the doll waving.